可持续性 is a multifaceted issue. It’s not just about recycled content or trees saved. It’s not just about what kind of inks or chemicals you use, or how you dispose of them. It’s not just about workplace safety or philanthropy. It’s not just about supply chain efficiencies of green initiatives.
It is ALL of these things and more.
Contact your Sales Representative if you would like a copy of the Booklet written by John Widera, Chairman of CalBox集团, 题为 “Surviving the Environmental Impact of a Paper World”.
- 减小修剪尺寸. If practical, think of ways to utilize the blank spots on the paper sheet. Modifying your packaging through changes in design and material can alter the dimensions or your weight which ultimately affects freight cost, environmental emissions, 能源使用.
- Specify chlorine-free paper, recycled paper or FSC certified new (virgin) papers. Learn how they are manufactured so you can make the optimal choice for each project.
- 想办法cut down on the number of structural elements in a mail package or master box (cube utilization)
- 为胶印 specify vegetable-formulated ink or water-based flexo ink with soy based resin for printing on corrugated sheets.
- 如果可能的话 use lighter weight paper; same size – less fiber.
- Develop packaging prototypes,适用. Conducting careful testing will help ensure the package is accurately designed for increased product protection with minimal product loss.
- Balance sustainability with function. Less paper, less resource usage, less packaging, less cost.
- 设计 with proper knowledge of production criteria to produce an economical and sustainable product.
- Ship with companies that utilize clean fuel vehicles (LNG or bio-diesel burners or hybrids) to minimize transportation- related impact.
Everything rests on our ability to produce consistent environmentally plant-friendly packaging for our customers.
We are not and can never be owners, only caretakers of this beautiful planet of 6 billion people. There really is no choice: business must learn to succeed financially and also ecologically. 否则, we jeopardize our irreplaceable natural resources, as well as the future generations that depend upon them.
这就是为什么U乐国际, the CalBox集团 have dedicated ourselves to promote sustainability initiatives utilizing state-of-the-art, low energy machines and facilities. Our employees are trained to reduce waste and our best suppliers also recycle. U乐国际都认为 绿色和精益.
Paper - A Renewable Resource
From a raw material standpoint, paperboard as a tree product offers a constantly renewable resource.
Today trees are being farmed like crops. Every day, a million trees are planted. That amounts to half a billion trees each year. We also suspect that most of our forests are now being certified to ensure environmentally friendly and socially responsible forestation. The use and re-growth of trees in the modern paper industry is not deforestation. Trees are an important renewable resource for our industry. We care deeply about ensuring a steady supply as well as a healthy ecosystem. Paper mills used by CalBox集团 buy from suppliers who practice sustainable forestry, which means the forest is re-grown as fast, 或更快, then it is cut (FSC Certified). 管理良好的森林, in which trees are selectively thinned to allow room for the remaining trees to get ample sunlight, can actually absorb more CO2 from the atmosphere then in an unmanaged forest.
Paper truly is the only inexpensive, biodegradable packaging material.
All our elite board paper come from SFI certified sustainable forest and tree farms that have a low carbon footprint. The best paper and board for corrugated boxes come from our corrugators in L.一个和凤凰城. Here we stress the value of energy efficiency by operating the state-of-the-art energy efficient corrugator only at night (the first such work schedule on the west coast).
98%的 纸张的浪费 in all of our 5 plants is automatically collected at each manufacturing operation and sent to a baler. 结果1,100 pound DLK (double line kraft) bales are then sold to recycle-paper mills to make new paper.
Each of our plants have a water waste treatment system that takes effluent (dirty water) and brings it up to drinking water quality levels. Any material extracted from the effluent is treated to ensure it is non-hazardous and safe.
With our state-of-the-art 有效的机械 it takes less sheets to do set-ups, and less sheets are destroyed from fewer “jam ups”. Together this reduces waste.
We use only press-ready water based inks. Any left-over ink in inventory is recycled to be reused as new black ink.